Never Too Late!

Never Too Late!
any resemblance to anyone real or imaginary is mere bad luck
we are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are trying to get up

22.2.05

The ghastly art and death of Zdzislaw Beksinski


It surprise me, sometimes, how few people recognise the name of Beksinski, a Polish painter of haunting visions and nightmares, a surrealist genius of the calibre of Salvador Dalí. It pains me, and it disturbs and frightens me - it is ominous, indeed - to be recording a second violent death in as many days. Of total strangers, of two men almost mythological enough to be unreal; but who did more to colour my vision of the world than most of the people I share lungfuls of air with every day.

Beksinski was found stabbed to death in his Warsaw apartment late on Monday night. GOD REST HIS SOUL; I don't know what else to say. We have been robbed of the power and meaning of these traditional phrases (not to mention the power of the sometimes-important words "thank-you" and "sorry", but these through gross over-use by the English).

Ahhhh, forgive me, already I'm drawn into an irrelevant and irreverent digression. There is a small selection of his work here - you'll find more elsewhere on the internet - go and contemplate...